Category Manager develops the overall strategy for a product category and researches new product options in the category to drive sales and achieve targets. Leads a team that provides category insights and proposals by analyzing marketing and customer data and monitoring relevant market conditions. Being a Category Manager works closely with sales team to determine optimal pricing through analysis of sales trends, competitors, buying habits and planograms of products to promote sales opportunities. Provides effective promotional materials. Additionally, Category Manager may develop special arrangements with vendors to enhance product promotions. Requires a bachelor’s degree of marketing. Typically reports to a head of a unit/department. The Category Manager typically manages through subordinate managers and professionals in larger groups of moderate complexity. Provides input to strategic decisions that affect the functional area of responsibility. May give input into developing the budget. Capable of resolving escalated issues arising from operations and requiring coordination with other departments. To be a Category Manager typically requires 3+ years of managerial experience.
Category Manager Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Category Manager to join our team.
- Recommend and commission continuous research, building relationships with IRI, Kantar, and any other Research agencies as relevant;
- Understand the key trends and dynamics shaping the Grocery category now & in the future;
- Interpretation and analysis of data, reviewing gaps, shelf space, trends, promotional activity, providing ongoing reports;
- Collaborate with the Commercial and Marketing teams, translating analysis to meaningful insight for the Grocery Retailers;
- Work with various level stakeholders to understand their requirements and support R&D, Materials and Equipment development;
- Leading the creation and the development of category management plan;
- Develop an excellent understanding of sellers’ business operations and utilise insight to drive growth;
- Support IT and facilities with new projects;
- Use market knowledge and procurement expertise to drive sustainable vale and reduce risk;
- Lead key procurement projects;
- Lead and influence strategic and commercial decisions and obtain approval from stakeholders;
- Accountable for Procurement aspects of LCM and supporting projects from bid to closure;
- Develop and implement a process to monitor agency performance;
- Manage all internal and external data sources;
- Supporting the procurement manager with communication and networking to provide excellent partner management.
- Ability to identify savings opportunities;
- Category Management experience, ideally Hard & Soft FM or strong indirect generalist;
- Implementation of contracts to achieve savings;
- Achieved or working towards MCIPS,
- Strong commercial focus and experience;
- Strong people management skills and the ability to manage and persuade at all levels of the company;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, highly organised and an effective team player;
- A minimum of two years’ experience as a Category Manager;
- A strong understanding of the eCommerce retail environment & insights is essential;
- Background in retail – ideally Ecommerce;
- Strong background in driving commercial results through business development;
- Strong trading acumen and comfortable to operate in a fast paced trading environment;
- Able to engage at the most senior levels within brands and retailers;
- Strong ability to analyse data and draw actionable insight;
- Track record of building effective trading relationships.