Estimating Manager manages the daily activities of an estimating department for an engineering organization. Implements technical estimating standards and procedures and oversees the work of project estimators. Being an Estimating Manager solicits supplier bids and proposals for labor, material and equipment and evaluates proposals to ensure they meet project specifications and budget requirement. May be responsible for the training and staffing of estimating department. Additionally, Estimating Manager typically requires a bachelor’s degree. Typically reports to a head of a unit/department. The Estimating Manager manages subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs. True first level manager. Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets. Has full authority for personnel actions. To be an Estimating Manager typically requires 5 years experience in the related area as an individual contributor. 1 – 3 years supervisory experience may be required. Extensive knowledge of the function and department processes.
Estimating Manager Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Estimating Manager to join our team.
- Assist others in selection of materials and sub-contractors when required to do so and propose alternative materials or methods;
- Reviewing supplied tender documentation including drawings, details and specifications;
- Responsible for producing priced tenders that are accurate, detailed, and concise;
- Constructing a logical and consistent price/offer using spreadsheet models;
- Hiring of new staff;
- Monthly budget and reviews with senior management;
- Managing the day to day activities of the estimating department;
- Performing 1-2-1 reviews with estimating staff and where appropriate arranging: Training.
- Professionally qualified in another construction-related subject/professional body is desirable;
- Good organisational skills and attention to detail;
- Hands-on approach;
- Excellent literacy levels in Architectural and Engineering drawings;
- Proficient in Word, Excel and Outlook;
- Good negotiation, influencing and interpersonal communication skills;
- Appropriate construction-sector experience;
- Some UK travel;
- Proven experience in a Senior Estimator / Manager role;
- Occasional flexible working required;
- In-depth technical knowledge of relevant legislation, standards, guidelines. systems and processes;
- Relevant industry experience e.g. Oil & Gas / Petrochemical / Renewables / Heavy Industry;
- Full clean driving licence;
- Occasional lone and/or home working required;
- Higher National Diploma or Degree.