The Senior Internal Auditor identifies and analyzes improper accounting or documentation within the organization. Audits complex accounting and financial data of various departments within an organization to ensure accuracy and compliance with government guidelines and laws. Being a Senior Internal Auditor works with outside auditors to help reconcile discrepancies or support the external auditing function. Researches identified issues thoroughly and makes recommendations to improve policies or procedures accordingly. In addition, Senior Internal Auditor requires a bachelor’s degree of accounting. Typically reports to a manager or head of unit/department. Being a Senior Internal Auditor contributes to moderately complex aspects of a project. Work is generally independent and collaborative in nature. Working as a Senior Internal Auditor typically requires 4 to 7 years of related experience.
Senior Internal Auditor Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Senior Internal Auditor to join our team.
- To work closely with external and internal partners in the planning and the delivery of internal audit reporting;
- You will need to be able to commit to 30% international travel;
- Support the Senior Internal Audit Manager on Commercial areas and teams of peers in delivery of audit plans by providing knowledge and expertise;
- Undertake reviews of the auditors working papers to ensure the standards of the HIA and professional standards have been met;
- Share technical knowledge and best internal audit practice is kept up to date;
- Oversee the production of MI for Audit and Risk Assurance Committee;
- Actively performs projects to ensure timely completion within established budgets, while adhering to ASG and IIA performance standards;
- Work independently and demonstrate strong leadership skills;
- Review management action plans and submits recommendations to Audit Manager regarding acceptance of reply or need for follow-up action;
- Development of Group Internal Audit methodology;
- Take a lead on the follow up of previous internal audit recommendations ensuring risks are mitigated;
- Delivery of end to end audits across their UK and Global offices;
- Senior Auditor will also contribute to the SOX Compliance effort by testing/reviewing the relevant controls in scope;
- Contribute to the development and execution of the risk-based annual audit plan;
- Provide training and coaching to junior Internal Audit staff.
- Experience in audit (internal, external) from industry or practice;
- Able to prioritise, multi-task and be comfortable with a changing environment;
- Analytical skills, with an ability to work in detail and also see the big picture;
- Enthusiastic, confident and a team player;
- We need someone who holds (or is working towards) a relevant qualification (either CCAB or internal audit);
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal;
- Post qualification internal audit experience and have strong analytical skills;
- Any experience in Risk Management, Data Analytics and Investigations is desirable;
- You’ll need to be someone who likes to plan. The role needs someone organised enough to get an audit review from start to finish;
- Ability to travel 25-40% of the time;
- Capable to work on own initiative and as part of a team;
- Proven experience of risk-based internal audit life-cycle and procedures;
- Relevant Professional Qualification e.g. ACA, ACCA or IIA;
- Flexible and positive approach to work;
- Organised and able to prioritise and meet deadlines.