The Senior Mortgage Underwriter monitors property appraisal process and assists with property inspections. Underwrites mortgage loan applications and evaluates loans in order to maximize organizational profit and minimize risk or loss. Being a Senior Mortgage Underwriter may require a bachelor’s degree. Assesses risks to determine approval status. In addition, Senior Mortgage Underwriter typically reports to a supervisor or manager. Being a Senior Mortgage Underwriter contributes to moderately complex aspects of a project. Work is generally independent and collaborative in nature. Working as a Senior Mortgage Underwriter typically requires 4 to 7 years of related experience.
Senior Mortgage Underwriter Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Senior Mortgage Underwriter to join our team.
- Provide training to Underwriters where skill gaps are identified;
- Ensure timely, accurate and appropriate responses to telephone calls/enquiries or correspondence from clients, lenders or Valuers;
- The ability to Interpret CAIS information in accordance with current lending guidelines;
- Liaise with Mortgage Consultants, appraising them of the progress of specific mortgage cases and seeking to resolve any queries arising;
- Build and maintain effective relationships with all new and existing clients;
- Liaise with Senior Management, escalating any specific problems for discussion and resolution;
- Assess portfolio Landlords in accordance with current regulations and guidelines;
- Taking ownership of complex cases and queries.
- Pre-empts problems by anticipating the need to adapt approach; initiates changes;
- Have a strong knowledge of the mortgage markets;
- A minimum of 2-3 years underwriting experience preferably within the Buy to Let market, although residential or commercial markets can be considered;
- Analytically minded with high attention to detail;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Coping with changing circumstances and acting in a manner that facilitates the change process;
- Previous experience in lending to Limited Companies, Portfolio Landlords and Ex-Pats;
- Redirects efforts proactively applying an understanding of the reasons to support colleagues;
- Experience of dealing with brokers and third parties such as Solicitors and Valuers;
- Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines;
- Previously held a mandate in excess of £250,000;
- Strong planning and problem-solving skills;
- Recognises the need for change and makes recommendations accordingly.