Assist biological and medical scientists in laboratories. Set up, operate, and maintain laboratory instruments and equipment, monitor experiments, make observations, and calculate and record results. May analyze organic substances, such as blood, food, and drugs.
Laboratory Technician Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Laboratory Technician to join our team.
- Management of the intake and disposal of test samples, ensuring all samples are stored appropriately with correct documentation;
- Performs Risk Analysis and identifies & addresses potential safety hazards. Corrects and report hazards immediately in QUEST or to Supervisor;
- Prepares presentations for internal and external clients;
- Manages his/her career with guidance from GMTE/DTE and support from Lab Manager;
- Supporting other members of the team with day to day laboratory duties and in-house equipment maintenance;
- Supervises personnel to ensure equipment is clean and in proper working condition and proper disposal of Lab waste;
- Must be able to work using extreme aseptic technique, being acutely aware of sterility and contamination;
- Ensure laboratory procedures comply with the requisite standards;
- Maintaining good laboratory practice and the highest standards of housekeeping and safety;
- Performing testing for the packaging industry, working with specialist equipment;
- Planning, preparing and carrying out temperature mapping of the site;
- Ensure laboratory complies with external accreditation standards;
- Maintain and review processing procedures to ensure compliance with current legislation;
- Sample handling and equipment maintenance;
- Monitor and keep communal areas clean and tidy.
- Laboratory experience preferred;
- You’ll need good team working, communication and organisational skills;
- Computer literate – Microsoft Office;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience with using LIMS, preferably Unilab;
- Experience working in an academic or commercial laboratory;
- Ability to be flexible and handle multiple responsibilities and tasks on a regular basis;
- Experience using Microsoft Office applications;
- The post is full-time and the hours of work are 37 per week. The post is available for a period of three years;
- Able to partner with other teams and suppliers and deliver results;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- BSc in biotechnology/pharmaceutical research area or similar;
- Knowledge of GLP & GMP regulations is desired;
- Proficient in various IT systems particularly Microsoft Excel and Word;
- Knowledge of British Standards, in particular, ISO 9001:2000, ASTM, DIN and COSHH.