Transportation Manager manages and coordinates the transportation network within an organization. Handles domestic and/or international transportation request to meet customer needs. Being a Transportation Manager is responsible for evaluation and improvement of transportation network. Requires a bachelor’s degree in area of specialty. Additionally, Transportation Manager typically reports to a head of a unit/department. The Transportation Manager typically manages through subordinate managers and professionals in larger groups of moderate complexity. Provides input to strategic decisions that affect the functional area of responsibility. May give input into developing the budget. Capable of resolving escalated issues arising from operations and requiring coordination with other departments. To be a Transportation Manager typically requires 3+ years of managerial experience.
Transport Manager Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Transport Manager to join our team.
- Ensuring the DC have processed shipments and met agreed deadlines;
- Ensure along with the Logistics Manager that all vehicle spot checks are completed and the processes of such is enforced;
- Responsible for Driver and Driver Assistant training, Driver CPC, vocational ADR and FLT maintenance of training records;
- Address potential areas of improvement by proactively proposing new solutions and procedures;
- Regular (weekly/daily) reporting to management on results, agreeing and ensuring remediable action where required;
- Preparing paperwork for regulatory bodies;
- Vehicle maintenance;
- Responsible for incident control;
- Liaising with and managing staff and shifts;
- Direct responsibility for the dedicated transport operation;
- Operating IT Systems;
- Vehicle and driver compliance;
- Monitoring stock;
- Review and amend where appropriate daily plans issued to the operation;
- Responsibility for drivers hours, rotas, holidays, and business rewards scheme.
- Have managed in excess of 30 drivers previously;
- Managed a Transport operation of 30+ vehicles;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Knowledgeable in transport legislation;
- Experience of managing logistics teams;
- Understanding of KPI’s and management of cost budgets;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- CPC Certificate;
- Good organisational and communication skills;
- 3+ years experience in transport operations management of teams exceeding 30+ direct reports;
- Experience of project start-ups;
- Experienced in managing across multiple sites;
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships at all levels;
- Ability to use initiative in problem-solving situations;
- Be CPC National and / or International qualified (Desirable).