Shipping Operative Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Shipping Operative to join our team.
- Checking original cargo related documentation including packing lists, manifests and bills of lading to make sure all customs requirements are met;
- Liaise with a network of overseas agents;
- Calculating and processing Duty and VAT for entries to HMRC for shipments to the UK;
- Consulting and understanding the UK customs tariff – commodity codes, Duty rates, VAT exceptions;
- Liaising with customers regarding any holds or delays with customs release and speaking directly to customs/port health officials to resolve issues;
- Confirm bookings and arrange costings;
- Manage non-EU imports;
- Checking arrival dates for consignments coming into UK ports;
- Cost and margin analysis;
- Submitting details into the HMRC system prior to consignments arriving in the UK in order for the goods to clear once in the UK;
- Investigate and plan routings for customers’ needs;
- Registering and applying insurance requirements both for our client’s shipments and within customs entries;
- Packing all goods that are ready for shipment;
- To load shipments and deliveries from carrier’s transport;
- Raise shipping paperwork in line with customer due date.
- Experience working with large client files;
- Excellent ability on Excel;
- Ideally you will have experience in an import operations role before;
- Excellent customer service;
- Able to accurately analyse data.