Machinists use machine tools, such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders, to produce precision metal parts. Many machinists must be able to use both manual and CNC machinery. CNC machines control the cutting tool speed and do all necessary cuts to create a part. The machinist determines the cutting path, the speed of the cut, and the feed rate by programming instructions into the CNC machine.
Machinist Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Machinist to join our team.
- Ensuring that measuring devices are accurate and within calibration when being used;
- Performing routine preventative maintenance on workshop equipment;
- Ensuring that worksheets are filled out correctly and in accordance with internal procedures;
- It is your duty whilst at work to take care for the health and safety of yourself and your colleagues who may be affected by your acts or omissions;
- Maintain a high level of 6S in the maintenance area within the Test House at all times;
- Produce test pieces using manual lathes and milling machines;
- Follow all policies, process flows and standard operating procedures in respect to Health, Safety, Quality and Environment;
- Any other duties within the Test House as required;
- Preparation of test samples to meet the requirements of international and internal standards;
- Follow the Values set by Henry Williams Limited;
- Highlight any hazards or areas of improvement surrounding Health & Safety to the relevant personnel;
- Understand the documented policies, procedures and standards which affect the operations of the testing laboratory;
- Manufacture and refurbish forging dies using manual lathes and milling machines as required;
- Primarily the full time role is to manufacture components for hydraulic cylinders on a daily basis;
- There is the opportunities to assist the field engineers on occasion on larger installation and repair projects.
- An understanding of the documented policies, procedures and standards which affect the operations of a testing laboratory;
- Experience in the use of centre lathes, milling machines, surface grinders, linishers and band saws;
- Ability to deliver products to deadlines;
- An understanding of International Standards relating to Mechanical Testing;
- Setting/operating and manufacturing a variety of small/medium components to tight tolerances eg less than 0.25 mm;
- Experience of working within a Test House environment;
- Time served machinist or NVQ Level 3 in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent;
- Excellent attention to detail and high quality;
- Ability to read engineering drawings;
- Full clean driving licence;
- Working knowledge of lean methodology (6S).