Underwriting Assistant provides support and assistance to underwriting staff. Performs administrative duties regarding new and renewal accounts, risk assessments, and loss runs and loss ratings. Being an Underwriting Assistant may assist underwriters with the computation of rates and premiums. Typically requires a high school diploma. Additionally, Underwriting Assistant typically reports to a supervisor. The Underwriting Assistant works on projects/matters of limited complexity in a support role. Work is closely managed. To be an Underwriting Assistant typically requires 0-2 years of related experience.
Underwriting Assistant Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Underwriting Assistant to join our team.
- The Underwriter Assistant will act as a go-between, communicating with introducers and brokers, chasing them for outstanding/pending documentation;
- Dealing with general queries;
- Engaging with and maintaining business relationships with brokers and distribution partners;
- Issuing correspondents to customers and brokers;
- Ensure documents are stores according to audit requirements;
- Logging customer complaints;
- Produce MI as required;
- Premium credit activity and direct debit set up;
- Perform ad hoc operational duties to support the team;
- Develop class specific insurance knowledge to support the role;
- The successful candidate will have a proactive approach to gather info via email/post and telephone – Fully updating case files, as necessary;
- Perform data entry of insurance information into in-house systems to agreed, defined standards of accuracy and timeliness;
- The Underwriter Assitant will interact with valuer/surveyors concerning valuation instruction, valuation inspection, and valuation report;
- Demonstrate a consistent high quality customer focus and service delivery;
- Able to maintain both hard/ soft copies of the case file, along with keeping invoice payments up-to-date.
- Providing excellent internal/external customer service to customers and clients;
- Computer literate, with the ability to develop a full understanding of in-house and Microsoft systems;
- Experience in insurance industry ideal but not essential;
- Enjoy working in a close team environment – be willing to provide cover for team members and enjoy helping peers;
- Ability to work autonomously;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Previous experience of High Net Worth (HNW) Insurance would be a bonus;
- Good IT Skills in particular MS Office package;
- Able to demonstrate a complete understanding of company policies/guidelines, ensuring the principals/regulations are adhered to;
- Able to identify potentially fraudulent activity, escalating concerns to compliance, as necessary;
- Good understanding of the broker and client operational environment;
- Good attention to detail and the ability to prioritise workloads;
- Previous administration experience;
- Minimum of 1 year in Insurance industry with an awareness of the impact of regulations and FSA;
- Educated to A-level standard or equivalent.