Animal Technician provides daily care for research animals of various species. Cleans and disinfects cages and equipment. Being an Animal Technician monitors the health and well being of the animals, maintains logs of animal diet, behavior, vital signs and other data. Follows standard operating procedures and all biosafety and animal welfare regulations. Additionally, Animal Technician may perform procedures to collect samples. May transport animals to and from laboratories. Requires a high school diploma. May require Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) certification from the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) or other certification. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager. The Animal Technician works under the close direction of senior personnel in the functional area. Possesses a moderate understanding of general aspects of the job. May require 0-1 year of general work experience.
Animal Technician Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Animal Technician to join our team.
- Maintaining specific animal rooms, including basic housekeeping of animal areas, following strict hygiene rules;
- Handling, sexing and identifying animals to ensure high standards of animal care and welfare are maintained;
- Performing routine animal husbandry, as well as keeping detailed records of health checks;
- Carrying out routine regulated procedures.
- Experience within an animal facility;
- Experience of handling and sexing offspring would be to an advantage;
- Awareness of ASPA and the 3 R’s;
- Candidate must be physically fit due to some lifting and standing for the majority of shifts;
- Experience of contributing to and following SOPs would be desirable;
- Candidate must be available to work 1 in 3 weekends;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Institute of Animal Technology Certificate or equivalent.