The Senior Medical Writer may require a bachelor’s/master’s degree. Responsible for researching, writing, and editing clinical/statistical reports and study protocols: summarizes data from clinical studies for submission to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Being a Senior Medical Writer typically reports to a supervisor or manager. Working as a Senior Medical Writer typically requires 4 to 7 years of related experience. Contributes to moderately complex aspects of a project. Work is generally independent and collaborative in nature.
Senior Medical Writer Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Senior Medical Writer to join our team.
- Liaise with authors/advisors (including attending face-to-face meetings);
- Ensure line manager and accounts team, where appropriate, are continually updated on project progress;
- Coordinate effectively and efficiently with appropriate members of the wider team;
- Provide guidance and scientific direction for creative designs and input into concept development as appropriate;
- Travel to and attend client presentations and projects where necessary (occasionally international travel may be required);
- Write in a range of styles depending on the communication purpose and audience need;
- Providing good briefings to colleagues and freelancers;
- Mentoring new writers (depending on individual, level of experience and opportunity);
- Liaising with clients, authors and colleagues to progress projects effectively,
- Deliver high quality content for creative medical education and communication projects;
- Liaising with both the accounts team and directly with clients;
- Take briefs directly from clients with minimal supervision;
- Delivering the highest quality scientific written content on behalf of your clients across a range of accounts;
- Mentoring junior writers with the potential for line management once settled in;
- Work cross-functionally with other teams.
- Educated to at least degree level in medicine, pharmacy, or life sciences; higher qualification (eg MSc, PhD) preferred;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Extensive knowledge of grammar rules/house style; use of proof marks; ZINC (Veeva or equivalent) skills; creation of reference packs;
- Ability to produce “de novo” high quality and accurate scientific copy in a range of writing styles;
- Willingness/ability to learn and apply new skills and new scientific/therapy area/regulatory information;
- Ability to motivate and manage junior team members;
- Understanding of the science and data behind client marketing messages;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Pro-active and self-motivated;
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively to tight deadlines;
- Good knowledge of strategic medical communications—understanding pharmaceutical industry drivers;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Able to build internal relationships and network effectively with different client teams;
- Completed ABPI training;
- Good research skills.