Health and Safety Manager monitors the removal of physical, biological and chemical hazards, and training of employees on safety policies, procedures, and regulations. Verifies compliance with health and safety regulations and ensures all necessary records are maintained and prepared according to established guidelines. Being a Health and Safety Manager manages the participation in Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) inspections, providing inspectors with appropriate documents and identifying safety measures. Ensures projects are completed on time and within budget. Additionally, Health and Safety Manager acts as advisor to health and safety administration team regarding projects, tasks, and operations. Requires a bachelor’s degree. Typically reports to a Manager or Head of a Unit/Department. The Health and Safety Manager manages subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs. True first level manager. Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets. Has full authority for personnel actions. To be a Health and Safety Manager typically requires 5 years experience in the related area as an individual contributor. 1 – 3 years supervisory experience may be required. Extensive knowledge of the function and department processes.
Health and Safety Manager Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Health and Safety Manager to join our team.
- Identify training needs;
- Providing Health & Safety advice and guidance;
- Vetting Sub-Contractors H&S and working methods;
- Carry out independent, monthly IMS Monitoring Audits and report performance to the Head of Quality & Compliance;
- Ensuring arrangements are in place for employee consultation at all levels;
- Ensure the day to day implementation and monitoring of the Health & Safety policy manual;
- Champion and drive process improvements and compliance;
- Keeping up to date with changes in legislation to keep up legal compliance across the portfolio;
- To update BAS procedures ensuring regularity between UKRI and BAS compliance;
- Assessing risks to health and safety arising from many different factors and industries;
- Recommend appropriate internal and external courses on health & safety matters to management & the training team;
- Ensure team deliver in line with requirements of the internal and external Quality schemes;
- Ensure team deliver in line with requirements of the UKAS accredited quality system;
- Oversee the investigation of reported accidents, incidents and dangerous occurrences, depending on type and severity;
- Carry out induction training for all new starters.
- Accredited Lead Auditor or Auditing Experience;
- Holds minimum of NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent;
- Detailed knowledge of current health and safety legislation and its application in an SME environment;
- NEBOSH Diploma (Desirable);
- Effective communicator with the ability to persuade and influence senior management;
- A relevant professional qualification e.g. NEBOSH Diploma;
- Extensive knowledge of effective health and safety management strategies and best practice;
- Strong commercial awareness;
- Experience in giving guidance on property and estates safety;
- Effective team working and networking skills and the ability to work independently using own initiative;
- People management;
- HACCP level 3;
- Ability to work on multiple tasks and work cross-functionally to identify issues and implement solutions and improvements;
- Analytical skills and ability to deal with numbers / KPI’s;
- A working knowledge of delivering Health and Safety Services.