Payroll Supervisor is responsible for processing company payroll. Ensures accurate calculation of wages, tax withholding, and company deductions. Being a Payroll Supervisor prepares statistical reports on employee pay, commissions and bonuses; vacation, sick, disability and workers compensation leave; taxes, withholding, etc. Oversees the distribution of paychecks or arranges direct deposit programs. Ensures payroll records are updated and reports on any matters of interest. Additionally, Payroll Supervisor typically requires a bachelor’s degree. Typically reports to a manager. The Payroll Supervisor supervises a group of primarily para-professional level staffs. May also be a level above a supervisor within high volume administrative/ production environments. Makes day-to-day decisions within or for a group/small department. Has some authority for personnel actions. To be a Payroll Supervisor typically requires 3-5 years experience in the related area as an individual contributor. Thorough knowledge of functional area and department processes.
Payroll Supervisor Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Payroll Supervisor to join our team.
- RTI submissions and processing end of year forms;
- Processing a start to finish payroll for medium to large clients;
- Develop and maintain good relationships with departments/individuals across the business;
- Keep under review all payroll processes and procedures to enable continuous improvement;
- Manage, motive and plan the workload of the team;
- Ensure amendments are made to the first payroll run and returned to the payroll provider within the deadlines;
- Check and review all payrolls before producing a payroll sign off report for BACS authorisation;
- Ensure P11D information is captured accurately and timely within the system to facilitate the production of P11d’s;
- Build strong internal relationships with department heads;
- Reporting to the wider business on your activity;
- Implement process improvements;
- Carry out contractor income and cost reconciliations on a weekly basis, ensuring completeness and close off at the end of every month;
- Ensure that all financial compliance documentation is in place before new contractors start;
- Ensure best payroll practise is adhered to across the team;
- Work to strict deadlines.
- High level of motivation and enthusiasm;
- High level of accuracy;
- Positive attitude;
- Ability to supervise other members of the team;
- An ability to organise and prioritise your work in a methodical and structured way;
- Able to identify weaknesses and put mitigations in place to avoid errors;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Strong discipline for meeting deadlines;
- Sound knowledge of HMRC rules on payroll, SSP, SMP etc;
- Previous experience in running a large payroll;
- High level of skill using Microsoft Excel;
- Obviously, confidentiality and discretion are very important, as you have access to sensitive information;
- Able to adapt to meet the needs of a fast-moving business.