Geotechnical engineers work to make sure that foundations for built objects ranging from streets and buildings to runways and dams, are solid. They focus on how structures built by civil engineers, such as buildings and tunnels, interact with the earth (including soil and rock). In addition, they design and plan for slopes, retaining walls, and tunnels.
Geotechnical Engineer Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Geotechnical Engineer to join our team.
- Knowledge and experience of geo-environmental engineering and aspects of contaminated land;
- Undertaking geotechnical calculations including settlement assessments, slope stability analysis and seepage analysis;
- Specification, contract management and site supervision of ground investigations;
- Delivery of geotechnical work packages;
- Provide support to writing project proposals and business development;
- Development and management of geotechnical & geo-environmental desk studies;
- Use of software such as Slope/W, Seep/W and Holebase;
- Laboratory test scheduling and reporting;
- Preparation/ checking of BS EN 1997 compliant Geotechnical Design Reports (GDR);
- Capability to independently drive routine projects and non-routine tasks with guidance;
- Building relationships with Clients on projects;
- Providing input to project team, leading by example to achieve sector goals and championing quality and innovation;
- Liaising with the Project Director or Manager and the Client;
- Performing other duties and responsibilities as required from time to time by your line manager;
- Providing technical input to projects and technical advice to project team members.
- MSc Engineering Geology or Geotechnical Engineering;
- The ability to produce accurate and well-presented reports;
- Excellent Communications skills, with the ability to communicate with clients and other professionals;
- Full driving licence;
- Experience of ground investigation supervision;
- Ability to progress schemes from inception to design completion;
- Excellent working knowledge of contaminated land management, contaminant hydrogeology and construction dewatering;
- Be experienced in specifying, procuring and management of ground investigation for civil design projects and contaminated land assessments;
- Degree in a relevant subject;
- The ability to deliver desk study and interpretative reports to HA standards;
- Charted Engineer and Geologist (ICE) (CGeol);
- The ability to guide technicians and graduates to produce designs and reports to budget;
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience working in a consultancy;
- A sound understanding of Soil Mechanics;
- Production of Ground Investigation Reports for civil design schemes/geo-environmental.