The Manager – Import/Export expedites the flow of traffic to/from foreign destinations, including customs documentation and transportation. Manages the import/export process, and ensures compliance with U.S. and foreign government laws and regulations. Being a Manager – Import/Export may negotiate with clients or handle issues with customs officials. Oversees the completion of paperwork and monetary transactions associated with international distribution in a timely manner. In addition, Manager – Import/Export requires a bachelor’s degree of specialty. Typically reports to top management. The Manager – Import/Export manages subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs. True first level manager. Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets. Has full authority for personnel actions. Working as a Manager – Import/Export typically requires 5 years experience in the related area as an individual contributor. 1 – 3 years supervisory experience may be required. Extensive knowledge of the function and department processes.
Import/Export Manager Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Import/Export Manager to join our team.
- Develop Team Leaders, and ensure their focus on developing their direct reports, as part of an ongoing talent management and succession strategy;
- Ensure charge recovery and dispute management are prioritised;
- Produce Ad Hoc reporting and investigation for Senior Management;
- Develop close links with Head Office, Overseas Agencies, Suppliers and Customers;
- Develop inter-departmental communication and work with Senior Management team;
- Attend regular off site meetings with customers for service review, and new customer integration;
- Maintain thorough knowledge of internal systems & services, as well as legislation & maritime regulations;
- Effectively communicate change and business updates to the organisation;
- Ensure department achieves recognised levels of productivity as related to operational functions and meets customer satisfaction;
- Regular review of process and procedures and implementation of improvement strategies;
- Ensure operations are run within KPI parameters and develop/maintain relevant key performance indicator reporting tools;
- Ensure all delivery, duty and VAT charges are invoiced correctly;
- Provide advice on processes and procedures in relation to export compliance;
- Liaison with external shipping companies and freight forwarders;
- Ensure all documentation complies with current legislation.
- Managed a team in excess of 5 people previously – Desirable;
- A professional qualification in Customs Import/Export or International Trade – Advantageous;
- Commutable to Alconbury, Peterborough;
- A background within Logistics Distribution and Supply Chain;
- Experience working with HMRC & Border Force – Essential;
- Have 3+ years’ experience in an Import / Export / Customs Compliance role previously;
- Extensive AEO knowledge – Advantageous;
- Excellent communication skills including experience relationship building with key stakeholders;
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment would be advantageous;
- Able to work under pressure and maintain a high level of attention to detail;
- degree educated;
- Strong commercial awareness.